Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Oops

This is the view from the front of the house when we purchased it in December 2007. Look at the left side of the picture. You'll see some blue rug juniper, which I can't stand. I had the brilliant idea to rip it up and replace it with a small wall and some pretty flowers. I bought the flowers, I bought the mulch, and then I got started...

Easier said than done! This is how it looks now, after I tore most of it up. I don't have a saw or anything like that, and the roots are fairly substantial, so that pulling just isn't working. I finally had to give up and get quotes from some landscaping companies to finish the job.

I decided to do this while Doug was away in Chicago, so when I picked him up at the airport, it went something like this:

Me: Welcome home!

Him: Thanks! I missed you guys.

Me: Remember that blue rug juniper that I don't like in front of our house?

Him: What?

Me: Anyway, it's gone, so you don't have to worry about it any more. Welcome home!

Him: Okay.

Me: Well, it's not entirely gone. You'll see.

Him (it slowly dawns on him that I'm preparing him for something): What have you done?

Me: Don't worry honey! I'll take care of it!

Him: I don't want to know.

While I was doing that, Bradford was collecting acorns and made a present of them to Daddy when he got home.

Actually, this whole thing reminds me of the summer when I was 16, Lyndsey was 14, Kel was 8 and Ben was 7. Mom and Dad were out celebrating their anniversary, and we kids had the brilliant idea to switch bedrooms and surprise them when they came back. We started moving furniture around, but there was too much and eventually it all ended up in the hallway, two kids were blocked in, and we couldn't move it anywhere. Then Mom and Dad came home. Surprise! They were thrilled beyond words. Literally.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Ah yes......I still remember it, just like it was yesterday!!!! : )

Lyndsey said...

I thought it was a good anniversary present.