Friday, July 18, 2008

No Regrets

It's been two and a half months since I stopped working, and I do not miss working at all. I thought that when I left DC I'd miss my job terribly, and I did--while I was working here in NC. I was constantly comparing the two places of employment and was just miserable. But now that I'm not working at all, I don't miss either job.

I am so grateful to be able to be at home with my children. Yes, it's hard. Yesterday Brad dumped cheerios everywhere, was disciplined, and then did it again 30 minutes later. Anne broke a glass and Brad broke a bowl. We had three dirty diapers and Brad knocked his head against a concrete wall and then fell off a chair and hit it again. Anne wiped peanut butter on a fabric covered chair. This was all in one day, mind you.

But we also ate popcorn, and ran races, and colored pictures, and put together puzzles, and built a lego castle, said memory verses, and laughed and played.

It can often be difficult to be content in our seasons of life--too often we spend our time pining for the things that almost were or could've been, and we don't savor the here and now. I'm grateful to be at home, and I'm grateful that for just this once, I'm savoring the here and now.

2 comments:

The Hodges Family said...

Amen, Sister. I with you. That's why its so good for us to "count it all joy". God bless you, Sister.

Zinnada<><

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
I'm thankful that you are enjoying the moment and being content in the "now." It's really funny now when I talk to my son -- he doesn't remember all the times we played in the floor, with trains, etc., because I was ALWAYS the camera operator! As we think about this year of preparation for college, I am grateful to have enjoyed the little moments of everyday life with him. Enjoy Brad! Enjoy Anne! The days really do pass quickly.
Kay