Tuesday, July 08, 2008

My Sweet Husband


I've been at home a full two months now, and I've had a chance to see what has been working for us in terms of our schedule, and what has not. I needed some time to sit down and do some thinking about priorities for the kids, our home, and our general routine. Carolyn Mahaney & Co. suggest a mini-retreat once or twice a year in the book Shopping for Time as a way to fully maximize each season of your life.

So on July 5th, Doug took the kids to Norfolk for the day while I stayed home to have my little retreat. It was so fruitful--I came away refreshed, with a clear plan for some areas of neglect and some new ideas for the kids. We're two days into our new week, and I can see that the time was well spent.

For example, one small change with a huge benefit was just writing down what I'd clean when--I actually stole SimpleMom's checklist. Now after breakfast, instead of going to the Y immediately, we spend 30 minutes cleaning something (Mondays are bathrooms, Tuesdays are bedrooms, etc.) before we go to the Y. It's so nice to sit down during naptime and know that I've gotten my least favorite part of the day out of the way early. And it gives me a sense of accomplishment that spurs me on to get other things done. Plus, I love checking off each room and watching the list grow smaller as the week goes by. It's all about the little things.

I'm so grateful to have a husband willing to do this, who loves to spend time with his children and is unselfish about giving me this time. Thank you, honey!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great picture!! I miss you guys so much. Sorry life is crazy right now - next week will be better for me to chat. I love Anne's scenario at the doctor - she's so cute!! Love you all!!

The Hodges Family said...

Hey, I went to the website. It was encouraging. I've been doing something like that already, but it's good to have a name for my books! lOL

Zinnada<><