Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th!

We had a great Fourth, and I hope you all did too!

We had three couples over, two that we know from church, and one that Doug knows from work--it was actually the first time I met Lee & Lara. All together we had eight adults and five children. We had a blast. Lee & Lara's son, Braden, is two months older than Brad, and Nathan & Leah's daughter, Georgia, is two months older than Anne. The kids had a great time together. Braden and Brad and Georgia were tearing around the house while Anne was trying to keep up.

Some funny highlights from the evening:

Brad: Bye-bye! [waving to another couple leaving]
Braden: [thinking Brad is talking to him] I'm not leaving yet. I'm staying for another month.

Nicole brings out hummus to supplement the fast-disappearing salsa and guacamole.
Nathan: What?! We're having hummus on the fourth of July?!

Nathan walks upstairs from the basement with an armful of books from Doug's study.
Leah: [to Nathan] Honey, as long as you're not spending money on them, I'm fine with it.
Nicole: [to Doug] As long as those books are going and not coming, I'm fine with it.

Can you tell our husbands are theologians? With a LOT of books? :) I actually sent Doug downstairs to bring up the folding chairs, and of course all the guys went with him, and we ladies didn't see them again for a half hour. When they returned, they were all carrying books and no folding chairs!!

Seriously, though, we had a great time. Towards the end of celebration, the dads and kids went out front on the lawn and we ladies chatted inside. It's so good to get together and have Christian fellowship, and I was especially glad to have found a new friend in Lara. I'm so grateful that we have this home, that we can entertain, and that we have friends, that want to come and be entertained!

2 comments:

The Hodges Family said...

Sounds like you all had some fun. The finns are sweet people. I can imagine how the day went. I'm glad that you all had fun.

Leah said...

We had such a fun time! Thanks for inviting us over,and sharing the holiday with us in such a way.