Thursday, July 10, 2008

Eleven

It's been awhile since a medical update, but not much has happened. I still have all of the physical pain--my back has been particularly bad the past week. The fatigue and dizziness has lessened. The short-term memory and being able to finish sentences has gotten worse. Brad finishes my sentences now--a three-year-old finishes my sentences--which means I can't recall words that a three-year-old knows.

I had an appointment with my neurologist on Tuesday and came away a bit discouraged. Each time I go the nurse asks a series of questions ("what year is it, what floor are you on") and gives me simple tasks. I was asked to remember three words, then spell a different word backwards, and then repeat the three words. I could only recall two. :( Definitely not a good sign. It was a really easy task and last time it was no problem for me.

Anyway, the neurologist said he's basically checking everything and stretching things out so that enough time can pass between my first MRI and my future MRI. In order to see the changes in the brain lesions that would indicate MS, time needs to pass. I think about six months is standard, but I see him again in August, so we'll see what he says.

I also had a visit with the rheumatologist, and though he drew eleven vials of blood, he does not think he'll find anything--I don't really have any symptoms. As for the back, he thinks it's a strain and it will go away eventually (though I've had the strain for about two months now!).

Please pray for me:
1. That my neurological deterioration would slow or stop.
2. That my back pain would go away or lessen.
3. That we get a diagnosis and treatment plan soon.

One of the most frustrating things about this is not having a clear diagnosis so that we can begin treatment. I've been feeling odd since mid-March, and I don't expect to have a diagnosis any sooner than September, if then. Six months is a long time to feel unwell with no firm treatment plan.

*UPDATED* I forgot to add this: the neurologist looked over a sleep study I had done and concluded that while I don't have sleep apnea, I do have, in his words, "crummy sleep" possibly due to Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS). So he put me on this medicine which I really do not like. Yes, I move a lot less during the night, but because I move less, my back gets stiff, and I wake up in a lot of pain in the morning. Plus I'm dizzy and tired when I wake up. I plan on taking this just long enough to prove that my memory loss is not caused by crummy sleep (hopefully only until my next visit) and then going off it. Yuck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
We are praying for you. Pain, fatigue, lack of sleep, are all things I can relate to so well. May God give you strength, less pain, and a good night's sleep. Bless you,
"Miss" Kay