Thursday, July 03, 2008

Eating bon-bons

As everyone knows, we stay at home moms just sit around and eat bon-bons all day long. Here is a typical day.

7:00 Brad wakes me up and we read a book. We then get Anne up and go downstairs for breakfast.

7:45 We go upstairs and get dressed. I pack my bag for the Y and fix Anne's hair while she brushes her teeth (it's not so much brushing as it is chewing on a toothbrush).

8:30 We get in the car and drop off (yet another) new prescription at CVS on the way to the Y. I drop the kids off at their classes, putting a name tag on Anne and handing her the diaper pouch. She takes it and toddles into her class and hands it to her teacher, as usual. I go upstairs to work out and Brad waves to me as his class goes to the playground. After I'm done with my workout I shower, get dressed, and pick the kids up. We stop at CVS to pick up the prescription and Brad asks me if it has been "filled up."

10:45 We arrive home and I get the vacuum and start cleaning out the car. After a 1300 mile trip this past week, the car is, frankly, filthy. Anne plays in the car and Brad "cleans" his bike while I vacuum and tidy up.

11:15 We go inside and make grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. After lunch the kids play on the deck while I clean up the kitchen and start another loaf in the bread machine. Since I have the vacuum downstairs anyway, I end up vacuuming the kitchen floor after Anne dumps a box of Triscuits upside down on it.

Noon Anne goes down for her nap and Brad and I read a book and then he goes down, too.

12:30 I go downstairs and assess the state of the pantry (after a week away it's pretty bare) while planning the menu for the next week and making a grocery list. I then start putting Doug's expenses in his online report.

2:00 Brad comes downstairs and we snuggle for a bit and read another book. We then go upstairs and get Anne up.

2:30 We all get in the car and go to Harris Teeter to take advantage of their sale on Coke Zero--Daddy's favorite--(not to mention their free cookies and balloons) and then head to BJs for gas and groceries.

3:30 On the way back from BJs we stop at Daddy's office and say hi--Daddy's office is on the way to BJs and every time we go Brad asks me to call Daddy and see if he's in a meeting. The kids shriek with joy when they see their father.

3:45 The kids were good at the store, and I promised them a car wash for good behavior, so we stop and get the car washed. The kids have fun watching all of the water and soap get put on the car. Anne especially thinks this is hilarious.

4:00 Home again. I take out the freshly baked loaf and set another one starting in the machine. I put the groceries away while the kids alternately help and eat an entire package of raspberries.

4:15 At Brad's request, I make the kids a snack of tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella and we all go upstairs to the playroom for some down time. Brad and I read a book while Anne plays with legos.

5:15 The kids go to their rooms for some quiet play time, while I change laundry loads and tidy up the house.

5:45 Quiet play time is over, and we get dinner ready, which is meatloaf that I had previously made and frozen.

6:00 Daddy comes home and we all eat dinner.

6:30 Daddy gives the kids baths and puts them to bed, while I clean up the kitchen and finish up the expense reports I was working on earlier in the day.

8:00 I make popcorn, and Daddy and I watch Cold Mountain together (a really great movie--I can't believe I hadn't seen it before--I can see why Renee Zellweger won an Oscar for that role).

10:30 Time for bed.

This is a fairly typical day. Obviously I only go shopping once a week, so if we're not shopping in the afternoons, we'll usually have about 15 minutes of "school" time. I try to do a craft as well, and there is never a lack of cleaning to do or trains to be played with.

Oh yeah, and this doesn't count all of the dirty diapers, memory verses, random snuggling, sudden huge disasters and clean up times (like the time Anne dumped a carton of blueberries out and mashed them into the floor), etc. I have never been more busy--I am so much more active as a homemaker than I ever was in an office. I've been doing this full-time-mom thing two months now, and let me tell you, it is exhausting!

For all the women who say they would be bored at home, or that there would be nothing to do, or that work would be more exciting, or whatever....it's not! I'm busier now than I ever have been, as you can see. Compared to this, work in an office is easy! That's not to say that I don't love this--I'm so grateful my husband provides for us so well, that I am able to do this. It is the best job in the world!

1 comment:

The Hodges Family said...

Amen, Sister! It's like having two full time jobs! But, it's great!

Hey, I'm going to face my fears and try and bake bread! LOL My SIL got a bread machine for me. So, we'll see. LOL

Zinnada<><