Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Swimming


I couldn't get a picture of her without the toothbrush. What can I say? She's very into oral hygiene.

There are LOTS more swimming pics to come. I took both of them into the pool (usually it's just Brad and I at swim lessons), and it was Anne's first time on the sprayground. She was a little hesitant at first, but it wasn't long before she was having a blast. I actually forgot the camera during this trip, and I was kicking myself because while they were on the sprayground, Anne was a little scared to go under an arch of water, so Brad took her hand (without my prompting!) and they walked under it together. It was the sweetest thing. He's really growing into his role as big brother.

Speaking of swimming, both kids are doing really well in the water. I strap a small flotation device to Brad, and he doesn't need any more help from me--he will jump in the water and swim to me and swim back to the wall and go underwater--he just loves it. And Anne, too! She does NOT want to be held and is always trying to swim on her own. She will also jump in the pool to me and doesn't mind going under water. Her favorite thing to do is to arch backward while I'm holding her and put her head in the water as if she's doing a back float.

This all occurs in the main pool--the Y actually has a toddler pool that is two feet deep, but I don't like to go in it, because it's incredibly hot--it feels like a sauna--and it's really not safe. It gives an illusion of safety, because both kids can walk in it, but both of them (even Brad) lose their footing and go underwater. I have to constantly keep fishing them out of the water, especially Anne. At least in the main pool I know I have to hold Anne and I don't have that false sense of security. So every time we go I tell Brad that we can only go in the big pool, which is better anyway, because he gets to jump, and that's what he really likes.

This is definitely going to be a fun summer--I'm so glad we joined the Y!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Have I said before how cute she is??? : )

Lyndsey said...

She's such a chunker; I love it!