Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Solution

Our electric bill arrived on Monday, and I knew that it would be higher since I was running the A/C more now that I'm home with the kids during the day, but I didn't expect it to be 50% higher! If you know me, you know that I function best in the cold, and heat does not agree with me.

After a few days of tinkering, I finally discovered the following truths:

If you come inside from 90+ degree heat, your 77 degree first floor will feel cool. If you go from your 77 degree first floor to your 73 degree second floor, that will feel even cooler...just don't go back downstairs!

Seriously, though, it's all about getting gradually accustomed. I used to keep the A/C to 69 degrees, if you can believe that (hey, I said I liked it cool!), so 73 and especially 77 is amazing for me. I hope to get it up to 74 and 78 by the end of the month. I'm looking forward to seeing my reward on the next electric bill.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Nicole. I couldn't believe it when I read this post because we are going through the same thing. Todd and I LOVE it to be cold in the house. In a perfect world, we would keep the thermostat on 68 year round. We almost never turn on the heat in the winter, and it gets very cold here. Anyway, because of our outlandish electric bill last month, I am keeping the A/C on 78 degrees. We have made it one week with all the fans going. Hopefully we will see the reward next month on our bill!