Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mommy, it's moving!

Brad had an MRI of his brain and spine today and a renal ultrasound (basically, and ultrasound of his kidneys and bladder), and let me tell you, I love Duke. I'm sorry honey, but Johns Hopkins is nothing compared to Duke. At Hopkins we were in a dingy old basement with a few old toys, and Brad was taken away and "worked on." He was brought back to me after he woke up, and shared an area with other patients where everything could be seen and heard. Also, no food or drink was given after the procedure.

But at Duke. At Duke. First of all, the parking is great ($1 per hour), and right across the street, and easily accessible to the hospital and highway. I still recall the hour I spent driving around Baltimore after Brad's last procedure, completely lost....ugh. Anyway, the waiting room is cheerful and it has train tables, and doll houses, and wagons, and lots of other toys. There were signs in the waiting room instructing us to speak with the receptionist if we waited more than 15 minutes (!!! Last time at Hopkins I waited at least an hour!).

We were taken back to a private room with lots of books. The only downside was that each room had a television and the nurses station was stacked with about 50 different videos, so I had to tell every person that walked in the room that no, we didn't want to watch a movie. But other than that, everything was great. They gave me a private locker to lock up my metal things...because I was going to be with Brad the whole time!

I held Brad when he was sedated, and sat in the same room (with my own earplugs!) when he was having the MRI. I carried him back to his room and held him as he woke up. The nurses gave him apple juice and graham crackers. He was offered lots of stickers. And on our way out, I stopped at the gift shop to buy him a promised lollipop--the cashier gave us two for free!

By now you're wondering when I'm going to get to Brad and stop talking about the experience, but after five MRIs and two surgeries, I've kind of become a connoisseur of the process. Duke just made the whole experience so pleasant, and even Brad wanted to know when we were coming back to play again--it was that nice!

Brad is fine. He was pretty funny in the recovery room--he said, "Mommy, it's moving!" And I asked him what was moving, and he said, "The room is moving." Then when we got home he told me the house was moving. So I told him he needed a little nap and the house would stop moving. He told me over and over again that he didn't want a nap. I ignored him, carried him upstairs to bed while he screamed and cried, tucked him in, gave him hugs, turned to leave, and looked back to see him fast asleep.

I don't think we'll talk to the doctor before Friday, and I'll post an update when we do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell Brad that I prayed for him today. I'm looking forward to seeing him again when you visit the office.

I'm glad the experience at Duke was so positive for you. It sure makes it easier when the hospital works with the family! I'm glad God brought your family to NC.

Kay

Leah said...

I am so glad to hear that the experience went so well! Let us know what the doctors say.