Monday, April 21, 2008

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Ah, my new bread machine.

What?

Oh, you thought this was a post about Doug? I do love him, too, but let me ask you this: can a Doug make a loaf of bread in 2 1/2 hours with no cleanup and no mess? Mm-hm. That's what I thought.

Let me tell you about the marvels of modern technology. No, wait. This wouldn't be the Baker Family Blog without a little finance talk thrown in. How much did this cost, you ask? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy bread at the store? Actually, no, it wouldn't.

I found this bread machine on Craig's List for $25. That's right. $25. It costs roughly $.50 to make a loaf of bread in this machine (including electricity). It costs $2.50 to buy a loaf of bread at the store. After 13 loaves, this baby will have paid for itself!

Anyway, this thing is AWESOME! You dump all the ingredients in the machine in a certain order--basically, you put the water and salt in first, then your dry ingredients, and finally the yeast, so the yeast and salt/water don't mix right away--then you hit the timer and walk away. 2 1/2 hours later, you come back to fresh bread! And the best part is--when the bread bakes, it bakes away all the mess. There is really nothing to clean at the end!

So you have this machine that does the mixing, the kneading, the rising, the punching, the kneading, the rising, the baking, and the CLEANING all by itself (did I mention I like the self-cleaning part?)!!!!! What I want to know is this: why doesn't every household in America own a bread machine? If there's a catch, I haven't found one yet. Saves money--check. No mess--check. Delicious homemade bread--check.

So far I've made white bread, wheat bread, pretzels, dinner rolls, rye bread, and multigrain bread. Six down, seven to go! :) Next up: Bagels or cinnamon rolls--I can't decide!

8 comments:

Ben said...

Haha I've never heard of anyone being so stoked about a bread machine. What a dork, but I still love you and can't wait to see you in June!

Lyndsey said...

Make some pretzels and ship them up here!!!

The Baker Family said...

I'm a dork?! Guess who doesn't get a homemade bagel now?

Mom said...

Nicole, should I tell Lynds you already made some aweseome pretzels? Are you bringing the machine with you in June???? Ship it up ahead of time!!

The Baker Family said...

The pretzels were nothing--you should have seen the dinner rolls!

The Baker Family said...

Boy do I feel old here as my brother-in-law uses words I once thought only reserved for fire - such as stoked. I am learning that such words are part of a vast sub-culture of which the young Benjamin is firmly ensconced.

Wait - I sound like a dork!

Seriously - the bagels are great, and you guys had better be nice to Nicole - she can make very nice treats with that bread machine!

Love to all -
Doug


PS - Ben - I miss going to get Chai Tea with you -

Ben said...

Haha don't worry Doug when you guys come up again I'll teach you how to talk and we'll get some chai tea

Merry Makes.. said...

Sounds amazing; must go get me a bread-maker, only I might struggle to get one for $25 or the equivalent, but I'll be sure to consider a good deal, should one come up.