Saturday, January 12, 2008

Home improvement

So, we really like the new house, but I'm thinking about moving again. I mean, you should live where you spend most of your time, right? Too bad Lowe's doesn't allow that. I'd save a lot of gas if I just moved in.

Since moving in, we've spent almost as much, about 2/3 as much, on the house as we spent on the down payment....!!!! There was the painting, the carpeting, the cleaning of the existing carpets, the house cleaning, the locksmith, the handyman for the cat doors, the plumber for the garbage disposal, the new rugs for the family room and dining room. The new rugs for the doors. And let's not even count all of the little things I've picked up on various trips to Lowe's:

Plunger
Broom
Screws
Towel rack, hand towel rack
Handles for cabinets in children's bathroom
Two very large rugs (dining room/family room)
Bookcase for Brad's room
Magnet for child proof locks that we couldn't open because we didn't have one

I'm going back next weekend for more screws, more light bulbs, and who knows what else.

I also need to order/obtain many things for other parts of the house:

Microwave (it was ordered, but shipped to Annapolis. Lovely.)
Dresser for Brad (ordered from Walmart.com, supposed to arrive by the 23rd)
Towels for guest bath
Alarm clock (ours was lost in the move...don't know how that happened)
Love seat/chair/ottoman (right now we're sitting on the floor to watch TV, which isn't really a bad thing since it limits our TV viewing)
Small bookcase for Anne's room (her stuff is strewn on the floor but I'm trying to give the AmEx a rest--I'm afraid it's going to fall apart because it's been swiped so often...)
Phones (one of them was lost in the move, the '2' and '5' buttons on the other don't work)

And then there are all the little things that need to be followed up on:

We haven't received the Wall Street Journal since before the move...I keep putting off that call.
The couch upholstery needs to be dry cleaned and the two chairs need to be sent out for cleaning.
The chair in our bedroom needs to be reupholstered in one spot.
The cable service is spotty and needs to be followed up on.
I need new cell phone service (TMobile, sadly enough, does not work in NC, so I've canceled my account). I'll be driving back to Washington tomorrow without a cell phone. Mom, you can start worrying...wait for it...NOW.
The furniture hasn't been delivered.
The office/desk/study area is only 50% organized and needs to be tackled.
The cats are misbehaving EVERYWHERE. And I don't know what to do about it. Any advice? Any advice other than, "Get rid of them," please.

And there are the everyday things: the car really needs an oil change, and hasn't been cleaned out since the move, the medical receipts need to be submitted for reimbursement, the old clothes/toys/stuff of the children needs to be sold on ebay, the desks that the former occupants left need to be donated, etc., etc., etc.

So I think the saying is right: You don't own a house, the house owns you.

No comments: